Be an Entrepreneurial Leader
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation by Technical University of Munich and UnternehmerTUM, Germany's leading Center for Innovation & Business Creation, is committed to being an outstanding entrepreneurship program for professionals.
Master of Business Administration
Munich, Germany and Berkeley, US
Taught 100% in English
65 course days over 4 semesters
39.000 € Tuition Fee
Get the newsletter & visit our events!
Apply from October onwards for our intake next year!
Integrate Theory and Practice
Prof. Hana Milanov
For a complete overview of the program structure, please click here.
Receive a unique educational experience
Get an Excellent Management Education
- A sound foundation in state-of-the-art management skills
- Interactive case studies and action-based learning
- Deep insights into the art of new venture creation
- Input from experienced entrepreneurs, corporate innovators and professors
Receive Hands-on Startup Coaching
- Direct application of learnings in team and impact projects
- Implementation of the Business Design Approach
- Support from experienced experts from various fields
- Prototyping in the high-tech workshop MakerSpace
Join a world-class Innovation Ecosystem
- TUM is a world-class university with a focus on entrepreneurship
- UnternehmerTUM is Germany's leading Center for Innovation & Business Creation
- Access to TUM's and UnternehmerTUM's startup network, services and corporate partners
- An active alumni club that provides lifelong support
Become part of a vibrant community
Our students come from a wide range of industries, academic backgrounds, countries and cultures. Their unique experiences will help you develop a deeper understanding of the (business) world – during the program and beyond.
Gain a global perspective
- The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation brings together a unique group of professionals from all kinds of eductional backgrounds.
- With an average of eight years of work experience, our students hold many different positions in a wide range of industries.
- So far, the program has brought people from 50 different nations together.
Join a close-knit community
- Get in contact with founders, innovation managers and entrepreneurs.
- Launch joint projects and benefit from mutual support in questions and challenges of your post-graduate career.
- Establish a network with students and professors and profit for many years.
- Make use of the TUM Alumni Network and get access to the latest scientific knowledge.
The theoretical and practical input, the network, and the empowering experience of the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation have enabled our students and alumni to found more than 50 startups.
NEWS & EVENTS
We organize events on a regular basis, to start a conversation with you and introduce you to the program, its students and the entrepreneurial ecosystem that the program is part of.
Going International: Study Trip to the San Francisco Bay Area
34 students, 15 nations, 1 learning community – the IBC “Class of 2021”
5 Alumni, 5 Startups: How the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation supports founders
Shaping successful entrepreneurs: The story of Georg Bader
Mr Beam Lasers closes seven-digit financing round
Legal-tech startup rfrnz honored as “Landmark in the Land of Ideas”
“Startup fever” – Süddeutsche Zeitung features the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation
Deep-dive into the innovation ecosystem
Talk by Prof. R.A. Farrokhnia (Columbia Business School): Blockchain’s disruptive potential
Tech startups are disrupting the logistics industry
From past to future – grand EMBA gathering in October
Time to celebrate: Triple Crown Accreditation!
Meet our Alumni: Sven Rens, CFO of Mr Beam Lasers
Take the next steps
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation starts once a year. Application for spring 2020 opens October 2019.
Be the right candidate
The formal requirements ensure that applicants have a certain level of professional and academic expertise and the english language skills to meet communication and learning demands.
Even more importantly, we seek motivated candidates who want to make a change and work hard to pursue innovative and entrepreneurial opportunities.
Both national and international applicants must register on TUMonline to start their application process.
In addition, all applicants who obtained their Master entrance qualification in a country outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland, must apply for a verification document via uni-assist. You can have your documents reviewed by uni-assist at any time of the year, and indeed we strongly recommend prospective students who need to apply to uni-assist to do so in good time. At peak periods, the uni-assist process can take up to six weeks to complete.
For instructions on uni-assist, please visit: https://www.tum.de/nc/en/studies/application/uni-assist/
Upload all required documents to TUMonline:
- Complete and current resume/CV: without gaps, on a monthly basis and in English
- Letter of Motivation and Essay: in English
- Proof of at least three years of relevant professional work experience e.g., confirmation from employer, job reference letter or similar (internships do not count)
- Subject and grade transcript of the first university degree (including all passed modules, credits and the final grade)
- Grading system with the maximum and minimum passing grade (often included in the transcript of records)
- If the original documents are not in English or German, please attach a certified translation of the documents
- If applicable: confirmation that the application for a VPD by uni-assist has been submitted in time
- Application for Admission: once the online application has been submitted electronically, the application for admission will be generated as a PDF document in your applicant account
For detailed instructions on TUMonline please visit: https://www.tum.de/nc/en/studies/application
After having submitted your complete application, the admission committee will examine your application. You will receive feedback on your application as soon as possible, generally within four weeks.
You will be invited for a personal admission interview if you fulfill the central TUM requirements and pass the first stage of the application process.
The admission interview is held in English by our admission committee and will take 20 to 30 minutes. During the interview, alongside English skills, the applicant’s motivation and entrepreneurial drive, dedication, abilities and experiences will be assessed.
The interview can be held online or at the TUM premises in Munich.
After the successful completion of both stages of our admission process, further documents will be required to complete your enrollment:
Catharina van Delden
Dr. Sultan Shair
Join a powerful network
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation is part of Munich's leading entrepreneurship ecosystem. With the Entrepreneurship Center, the Technical University of Munich and UnternehmerTUM, the Center for Innovation and Business Creation, have built a joint platform to enable high-tech innovation and breakthrough entrepreneurship.
Experience the innovation hub
The Center for Innovation and Business Creation at TUM offers founders and startups a complete service from the initial idea to IPO.
- UnternehmerTUM is one of the leading university-based startup ecosystems in Europe.
- The center develops and connects talents, technologies, customers and capital.
- Students, academics, and professionals get inspired to take entrepreneurial action.
- UnternehmerTUM is at the core of an extensive startup and industry network.
- Unternehmertum Venture Capital Partners provides Venture Capital for Industrial Technologies & Smart Enterprises.
- Invests in early-stage technology companies in the areas of Industry 4.0, Manufacturing Technologies, B2B Software, Mobility and Smart City.
- The high-tech workshop MakerSpace provides a unique infrastructure for implementing ideas and innovations in the form of prototypes and small-scale production.
- MakerSpace is open to the public, gives startups, engineers, architects, designers, and makers access to machinery, tools, and software, as well as to a creative community.
- UnternehmerTUM Projekt GmbH is home to the accelerator program TechFounders.
- B.NEO helps corporate clients to successfully develop sustainable tech-enabled business through business design principles.
- Digital Product School offers the unique opportunity to develop state-of-the-art digital products.
- Interdisciplinary teams tackle real world problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Participants range from employees of cooperation partners like BMW, Daimler and Audi to university students and recent graduates.
STARTUP AND CORPORATE NETWORK
Work with the very best
- UnternehmerTUM works closely with some of the most innovative corporations from Germany and abroad.
- UnternehmerTUM has strong ties with the entrepreneurial community and the portfolio of successful startups that it has brought to life.
- Together with major research institutions and foundations, UnternehmerTUM supports entrepreneurial thought and action.
Study at a university of excellence
Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of Europe's top universities. The culture of entrepreneurship has a long and successfull tradition at TUM.
- Technical University of Munich (TUM) is an entrepreneurial university, inspiring and empowering its students, scientists, researchers and alumni.
- TUM systematically develops and supports startups and fosters an “entrepreneurial spirit”.
- TUM is one of the country’s universities of excellence by the German government in 2006.
- At TUM, high-calibre research is performed in thirteen different faculties.
- The spectrum of subjects is unique in Europe.
- TUM School of Management is one of the leading management schools in Germany.
- The faculty researches and teaches on the highest possible level of quality and at the interface of business administration with engineering and natural sciences.
- The interdisciplinary research platform develops new technologies, products and business models.
- Executive Education is a focus area in teaching and research.
- TUM School of Management is part of the “one percent” of business schools worldwide that hold the Triple Crown Accreditation status (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA).
- TUM Entrepreneurship Research Institute is one of the leading institutes dedicated to entrepreneurship research in Europe.
- Four professors and more than 20 academics at the post-doc and doctoral levels do research and teach.
- ERI derives insights into all aspects of the entrepreneurial process relying on different theoretical perspectives.
- Together with Joachim Herz Stiftung and UnternehmerTUM, ERI runs the research project “Forschen und Gründen“.
- TUM’s Executive Education Center combines the faculty’s major further education activities.
- The EEC provides first-class executive education – training for professionals already working in their chosen fields.
- The EEC offers three Executive MBA programs as well as a variety of certificate programs and and Customized Programs for organizations
Learn from the very best
An international top-class board of lecturers will help you strengthen your entrepreneurial skills and increase your understanding of business and innovation.
By networking with experts from the academic, corporate and entrepreneurial worlds, you will gain a sound foundation in innovation and business creation.
With professors from TUM and TUM School of Management as well as from other top-ranked universities, such as UC Berkeley in California, you will receive a first-class education from some of the best universities in the world.
Chair of Management Accounting
Chair of Technology-based Services and Operations Management
Chair for Strategy and Organization
Professor of Strategic Entrepreneurship
University of California, Berkeley
University of Augsburg
Chair of Financial Management and Capital Markets
Chair of Information Systems
Chair for Corporate Management
Dr. Theo Schöller Chair in Technology and Innovation Management
Chair of Strategic and International Management
Landshut University of Applied Sciences
Chair of Research and Science Management
Chair of Sport and Health Management
Chair of Corporate Sustainability Brewery and Food Industry
Chair of Entrepreneurial Finance
University of Exeter Business School
University of California, Berkeley
Professor for Entrepreneurship
Professor of Entrepreneurial Behavior
Academic Director of the Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation
Chair of Corporate and Intellectual Property Law
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
University of Marburg
Find answers to your questions
Classes start once a year in April/May.
No. We focus on practical experience gathered in teamwork. Our students benefit from face-to-face communication and excellent support at the Entrepreneurship Center.
From our experience the workload can be challenging, but it is doable for a full-time employee. Since course days are devoted to subject-specific input and insights from researchers and practitioners, we ask you to reserve free time for the reading of articles and case studies as well as for the preparation of presentations.
Students show their learning success in individual and team assignments. This includes writing academic papers and giving presentations in front of the class. There are no sit-in exams.
The number of students per intake is not predetermined as admission takes place on a rolling basis. On average, we admit 35 students each year.
The tuition fee of € 39,000 plus a student union fee of approx. € 130 per semester includes academic instruction at TUM and UC Berkeley, project work with professional advisory, course and learning materials as well as catering during breaks.
The tuition is paid in four installments, which results in € 9,750 per semester plus the student union fees.
We currently do not offer scholarships or financial support for our students. We advise our candidates to search online for scholarships or to win their employers’ support for the program.
No. We have many international students and appreciate the interculturality they bring to the program.
Yes. All applicants, who did not obtain their qualification for postgraduate studies (usually a bachelor’s degree) in a country within the EU/EEA, have to apply via uni-assist in addition to their application in TUMonline. Applicants with a qualification for postgraduate studies obtained in Switzerland do not need a preliminary documentation.
No. The program and the application process are completely held in English. German language proficiency is therefore not a requirement.
The Executive MBA in Innovation & Business Creation requires a minimum of three years of relevant (full-time) work experience as well as entrepreneurial drive. In order to apply for the program you need a Bachelor`s degree or higher as well as English language proficiency since the program is held in English.
No. You do not need an English language certificate like IELTS or TOEFL as your English language proficiency will be evaluated during the application process based on the documents you have to hand in and the personal admission interview.
No. We do not require a GMAT. We favor an individual evaluation of your suitability for the program based on your qualification, professional experience as well as your entrepreneurial drive and interest in innovation and business creation.
No. Internships do not account for the required work experience. The three years of work experience primarily address the practical experience after your first university degree ensuring an exchange of thoughts and knowledge with classmates and lecturers on eye level.
Once you have submitted your application documents, you will receive a confirmation of receipt and your documents will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The Committee will then decide to invite you for a personal interview to determine your suitability for the program.